The original High Bridge was constructed in 1853 and played a significant role in General Lee's retreat during the Civil War. During the Battle of High Bridge on April 7, 1865, the original bridge was partially burned by Confederate Troops. The current bridge was completed in 1914 and is the longest recreational bridge in the Virginia. The 2,400 foot long bridge sits 125 feet above the Appotmattox River and is part of a 31 mile shared-use trail built on Norfolk-Southern Railway right of way which was donated to the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation. The trail permits biking, hiking, and horseback riding.
More than 330,000 screws, 13,000 bolts of various sizes, and 1,065 railroad ties were used to renovate the bridge.
The 1,108 acre park runs through Appomattox, Nottoway, Cumberland, and Prince Edward counties.